Through Executive Decree No. 722 of October 15, 2020, a new migratory subcategory called Permanent Residence as a Qualified Investor was created, which grants Permanent Residence in Panama within a period not exceeding thirty (30) days.
This new subcategory, whose primary requirement is the investment of the sum of US$500,000.00 in the Republic of Panama, seeks to promote foreign investment in the country through various mechanisms while offering novel advantages for foreigners wishing to apply for residence under the same, which we summarize below:
- The foreigner, through his attorney-in-fact, may start the residence application process without necessarily having entered the country.
- The formalities shall be managed before a special office (One-Stop Investment Counter), designed to meet these requests within thirty (30) days.
- In cases where the real estate investment is managed through a trust, the foreigner shall be able to prove it through the promise of sale contract, even though the transfer of the property has not yet been registered, which shortens the time to apply for this residence.
- When the foreigner opts for real estate investment, he can benefit from a reduction of US$200,000.00 in the required investment if he applies for residence during the next two (2) years.
The modalities of investment under this new migratory subcategory and the requirements applicable to each one of them are the following:
Real Estate Investment:
- Filing of documents evidencing the value and ownership of the property (Certificate from the Public Registry and Certificate from the National Land Management Authority).
Real Estate Investment through Promise to Purchase Contract:
- Authenticated copy of the Promise to Purchase Agreement.
- Authenticated copy of the Trust Agreement evidencing the partial disbursements to be made by the trust for the purchase and sale.
Investments through a Broker-Dealer House:
- Certification issued by the Broker-Dealer House stating the name of the investor, investment amount, detail of the securities and the entity that custodies the same.
- Authenticated copy of the Resolution by which the Superintendency of the Securities Market approved the license to the Broker-Dealer House.
- Certification from the Superintendency of the Securities Market regarding the registration of the securities corresponding to the investment.
Investment through Fixed Term Deposit in the Banking Sector:
- When applied under this modality, the investment must be for the amount of US$750,000.00.
- Copy of the Certificate of Fixed Term Deposit, authenticated by the bank, indicating the amount and term.
- Certification from the bank stating the existence of the deposit, its holder, the amount, the term, that it is free of liens and that the funds come from foreign sources.
Among the general conditions and basic requirements that the interested party must meet are the following:
- Payment to the National Treasury in concept of rights of application for the migratory procedure for the sum of US$5,000.00 and payment of US$5,000.00 to the National Immigration Service in concept of deposit of repatriation. In case of including dependents, an additional amount of US$1,000.00 must be added in each of the abovementioned items.
- Proof that the funds come from a foreign source which may be one of the following: letter legalized from the foreign bank or local bank, legalized foreign bank statement or authenticated local bank statement, or notarized letter issued by the recipient of the funds or bank certification proving receipt of the funds.
- The investment must be maintained for a minimum of five (5) years which will be verified annually by every competent authority.
For more information on this topic, contact us at email@example.com.