Alexis Herrera Jr. is a partner at Icaza, González-Ruiz & Alemán, with more than twenty-five years of experience. He specializes in Public Procurement, Mergers and Acquisitions, Corporate Law, Maritime Law, Environmental Law, Labor Law, and E-Commerce.
He is the partner in charge of the Mergers & Acquisitions and Public Procurement departments. He has advised the Panamanian government and business groups in public bidding and financing processes, as well as for M&A transactions in the areas of energy, infrastructure, and trading.
Alexis is also part of the team of arbitrators for labor matters at the Panama Canal Authority.
His work has been recognized by legal publications such as Chambers & Partners, LACCA, IFLR1000, and WWL.
- Bachelor Degree in Finance and Economics, Saint Joseph’s University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., (1993).
- Juris Doctor, Tulane Law School, New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A. Honors: Cum Laude, Exxon Scholar. (1996)
- Maritime Certificate, Tulane Law School, New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A., (1996).
- 1996 – Louisiana State Bar and Federal Courts of the Fifth Circuit, U.S.A.
- 1997 – Panamanian Bar Association
- ICAZA, GONZÁLEZ-RUIZ & ALEMÁN
- Partner. Lawyer since 1996.
- Member of the Drafting Commission of the Preliminary Draft of a Bill which proposes amendments to Book II of the Panama Commercial Code (2013-2014).
- Panama Canal Authority
- Labor arbitrator (2010 – present)
- Member of the drafting commission of the Regulation for the Panama Maritime Labour Convention of ILO, (2006).
- Exxon Company (U.S.A.)
- Legal Department, (1995).
- Gordon, Arata, McCollan & Duplantis (U.S.A.)
- Coordinator of the Drafting Commission on the regulation of the Labor Law at Sea and Navigable Waterways.
- Santa Maria La Antigua University and Deusto´s University (Bilbao, Spain).
- Professor in the Master’s Program in Maritime Law, (2003 – 2005)
- Santa Maria La Antigua University
- Professor of “Problems in Contemporary Corporate” (Electronic Commerce and Telecommunications). Master’s Program in Commercial Law, USMA (2001 – 2005).
- Escuela Nautica de Panama
- Alternate Professor of Maritime Law (1997 – 2001).
- Panama Bar Association
- Lousiana Bar Association
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Asociación Profesionales de la Nueva Generación Jurídica (Tesorero, 1999 – 2002)
- Asociación Panameña de Derecho y Nuevas Tecnologías
- Panama Maritime Law Association
- International Bar Association
- Phi Delta Phi (International Legal Fraternity)
- American Chamber of Commerce (AMCHAM),
- Member of the Committees of Environmental, and Hydrocarbons.
Awards and Recognition
- Chambers and Partners Global,
- Chambers and Partners Latin-America;
- IFLR 1000
- “Ciertos Aspectos Legales del Comercio Electrónico”, (Semanario Jurídico Empresarial, Sistemas Jurídicos, October, 2000).
- Panama Chapter of the book “International Execution Against Judgment Debtors” (Oceanía Publications, Inc.,1999).
In his spare time, Alexis enjoys basketball, music, and gadgets.