With more than twenty years of experience, Marisol Ellis provides legal advice to important Panamanian and international companies. She has worked as an Associate at Icaza, González-Ruíz & Alemán since 2004 as part of the Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution Division, and was named partner in 2022. Marisol belongs to the list of arbitrators of the Conciliation and Arbitration Center of the Chamber of Commerce, Industries and Agriculture of Panama (CeCAP).
Due to her work, she has been recognized as a leader in the area of Litigation by international legal services guides such as Chambers & Partners.
Marisol has extensive experience as a panelist and lecturer. She has taught International Law, Commercial Law, Banking Law, and Bankruptcy Proceedings in local universities at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. In addition, she has participated as a lecturer in important Arbitration and Litigation events in Panama and abroad.
Her memberships include the Panama Bar Association, the Latin American Arbitration Association (ALARB), the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) Panama Chapter and Arbitration Committee, and the Spanish Arbitration Club – Panama Chapter.
In 2021 she was appointed Panama’s representative in the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Arbitration, Robert Gordon University, 2018
- Master in Business Law, Swiss Business School, Zurich, Switzerland, 2012.
- Master in Business Law, ADEN Business School, 2011.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, specialization on International Trade, Universidad Interamericana de Panama, (degree to be conferred).
- XX Postgraduate-specialization in Casualty Law, Universidad de Salamanca, Spain, 2007.
- Master in Commercial Law, 2004, Universidad Latinoamericana de Ciencias y Tecnología.
- Postgraduate studies in Public Law, Universidad Latinoamericana de Ciencias y Tecnología, 2004.
- Postgraduate studies in Advanced Teaching, Universidad de Panama, 2000.
- Bachelor’s degree in Law and Political Sciences, Universidad de Panama, 1995
- License Certificate: 1995
- ICAZA, GONZÁLEZ-RUIZ & ALEMÁN,
- Partner since 2022.
- Associate (2004-2021)
- TRICOM PANAMA, S.A., Head of the Legal Department, (2002 – 2004).
- Sucre, Arias & Reyes, Lawyer – Litigation Department (2001 – 2002).
- Márquez & Preciado, Lawyer – Litigation Department (1996 – 2001). Judicial Branch
- Assistant to the Judge, Chief Clerk and Writing Clerk, 1990 – 1991.
- Banco Suramericano de Desarrollo, S.A., Legal Assistant, (1990 – 1991).
- Panama Bar Association
- Latin American Arbitration Association (ALARB)
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) – Panama Chapter, member of the Arbitration Committee
- Club Español de Arbitraje – Panama Chapter
- Dispute Resolution Board Foundation (DRBF)
- Teacher Assistant of Procedural Law, School of Law and Political Sciences, University of Panama, 1998-1999.
- Professor of Universal Proceedings and Banking Law, School of Law and Political Sciences, Universidad Latina de Panamá, 2005.
- Teacher Assistant of Private International Law, School of Law and Political Sciences, Universidad del Istmo, 2000 – 2006.
Other Relevant Studies
- Conference of users of FIDIC Contracts, Lima, Peru, June 21 and 22, 2017
- Negotiation and Leadership, Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School, April 18-20, 2017
- ICC Institute Masterclass for Arbitrators. International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) – Costa Rica Chapter. San José, Costa Rica, May 2016.
- Module 2, Contracts of the International Federation of Consulting Engineers (FIDIC), Lambal Formación, Panama, October 22 and 23, 2015.
- Module 1, Contracts of the International Federation of Consulting Engineers (FIDIC), Lambal Formación,, San José, Costa Rica, October 19-20, 2015
- Advanced PIDA in International Commercial Arbitration. International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) – Costa Rica Chapter. San José, Costa Rica, May 2015
- Diploma in International Commercial Arbitration. School of International Arbitration, Center for Arbitration and Conciliation, Chamber of Commerce of Bogotá, Colombia. 2103
- Seminar on “International Trade Arbitration in Latin America: The ICC Perspective”. International Chamber of Commerce. Miami, November 2012.
- Advanced Studies Certificate on Constitutional Procedural Law Guarantee Institutions. Universidad Latina de Panamá, Panama, July to October, 2012.
- Congress of International Arbitration “Arbitration and Conflict Resolutions of Large Infrastructure Projects”. ICC International Arbitration Court, Panama, August 2012.
- Seminar “Negotiation and Conflict Resolutions”. University of Louisville, Panama, June 2012.
- Advanced Studies Certificate on International Trade Arbitration. Arbitration and Conciliation Center of the Chamber of Commerce of Bogota, July 2012.
- Seminar “Election of the Arbitrator and his Impact on Deliberations”. ICC Panama, September 2011.
- “ITA-CeCAP Workshop for America 2011 y 1st Forum for the Americas”. Conciliation and Arbitration Center of Panama, April 2011.
- II Congress on International Arbitration: “A Comprehensive View”. Chamber of Commerce of Costa Rica, February 2011.
- Seminar “10 years of the Arbitration Law in Panama”. ICC Panama, January 2010.
- “ICC Meeting for Young Arbitrators: Confidentiality in International Arbitration: A Myth?”. Miami, ICC, November 2009.
- Conference "Common Problems in International Arbitration, from the perspective of an arbitrator and attorney. Conciliation and Arbitration Center of Panama, July 2009.
- Advanced Studies Certificate in International Tax Planning. Stetson University, Florida, April 2009.
- Seminar “International Tax Planning” Aden Business School, Universidad de Alta Dirección, November 2008.
- Business Law Seminar. Aden Business School, Universidad de Alta Dirección, August 2008.
- International Congress of Arbitration: Impact of International Arbitration Development in Latin America. Recent experiences. ICC Panama, September 2008.
- International Arbitration Seminar “Complexities of the Arbitration Procedure”. ICC Panama, April 2008.
- Advanced Studies Certificate in “Business Law”. University of San Francisco, California, December 2007.
- Conference “Update in Arbitration, Complexities of the Remedy of Annulment”. Conflict Resolution Center, Panama, October 2007.
- “Importance of the Alternative Conflict Resolution Methods in Business and Arbitration and its impact in the financial environment of Panama”. CPA Association and Mediation, Negotiation and Arbitration Center, August 2007.
- Update Course in International Trade Arbitration. Conciliation and Arbitration Center of Panama, June 2006.
- Negotiation Program: Negotiation and Leadership. Harvard Law School, Massachusets USA. abril, 2017
- Specialty in Construction Law. Universidad de Los Andes. Chile, 2022.
- Specialty in Fintech and Cryptoeconomics. Universidad Santa María La Antigua. Panamá, 2022.