Javier José Vallarino is a partner at Icaza, González-Ruiz & Alemán. With over twenty years of experience, he specializes in labor counseling and social security matters, drafting various labor documents, negotiating collective labor agreements, and labor litigation, providing these services to important Panamanian and international companies.
Since July 2008, he has been the head of Icaza, González-Ruiz & Alemán’s labor department, providing comprehensive labor and social security advice to banks, construction companies, ports, multinational corporations, power generation companies, among others.
Javier has also worked as Labor Advisor of the Chamber of Commerce, Industries, and Agriculture of Panama for several years. In addition, he has extensive experience as a lecturer and university professor. He has served as a professor in the Department of Labor Law and Social Security at the Universidad Santa María La Antigua (USMA), and has participated as a lecturer in important events organized by companies, business associations, and diplomatic headquarters.
His memberships include Panama’s Bar Association, the Panamanian Academy of Labor Law, and the National Association of Human Resources Professionals of Panama.
For the past three years, Javier has been recognized as a leader in his field by the Latin American Corporate Counsel Association (LACCA).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law and Political Science, Universidad Santa María la Antigua, Panama, (1997). Thesis: “Amendments to the Individual Labor Right Introduced by Law 44 of August 12, 1995”.
- Postgraduate studies in Labor Law, University Santa María la Antigua Panamá, (1998).
- License Certificate: 1997
- ICAZA, GONZÁLEZ-RUIZ & ALEMÁN
- Partner since 2019.
- Associate (2008 – 2018). In charge of the Labor Law Department.
- Chamber of Commerce, Industries and Agriculture of Panama
- Legal advisor in Labor Law since 2009.
- Minimum Wage Commission, Alternate Commissioner, (2013).
- Special Commission for the Bargaining table regarding Law 30, Main member, (2010).
- Grupo Melo
- Director of Labor Relations Department (1997 – 2002 / 2004 – 2008).
- Rivera, Bolívar y Castañedas
- Labor Lawyer (1993 – 1997 / 2002 – 2004).
- Rosas y Rosas
- Central Industrial Chiricana
- Sales Supervisor (1990 – 1992).
- Administración de Seguros, S.A. (ASSA)
- Assistant to the Risk Department (1990).
- Panama Bar Association.
- Panamanian Academy of Labor Law.
- Board of Directors of the National Association of Human Resources Professionals (ANREH).
- “Merger of Corporations”. Economic Bulletin of the Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture of Panama, Third Quarter, 1994.
- “Amendments to the Labor Code”. Special Bulletin (Report) of Rivera, Bolívar y Castañedas. August 1995.
- “Amendments to the Individual Right to Work Introduced by Law 44 of August 12th, 1995”. Graduation project. January 1997.
- “The Labor Mobility in the Panamanian Legislation”. Special Bulletin (Report) of Rivera, Bolívar y Castañedas. June 1997.
- “Globalization of the Economy: Its Impact in the Employment, Union Activity and Bargainig Process”. Special Bulletin (Report) of Rivera, Bolívar y Castañedas. December 1998.
- “Considerations Regarding the Possible Increase of Minimun Wave: The Reality of an Inconvenient Decision”. (E-MAGAZINE) “Legislación y Economía” of Rivera, Bolívar y Castañedas. August 2002.
- “Trusted Worker”, monograph included in the literary work “Contratos y Regímenes Laborales Especiales” compiled by Professor Ricardo Lachman. October 2002.
- “Disciplinary Measures: Concept, Characteristics and Limits Seth Forth on the Labor Code”. Magazine “Enlace” of the Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture of Panama. December, 2003.
- “Recent Legislatives Amendments, and their Impact in the Concept of Wage”. Magazine “Recurso Humano Positivo”. May, 2006.
- “Contributions to the Social Security Institution: The Conflict of the Thirteenth Month vs. Representation Expenses”. Monograph included in the literary work “Revista Jurídica Panameña” compiled by Panama Association of Financial and Tax Law. January 2009.
Awards & Recognitions
- LACCA Approved – Thought Leader
Javier enjoys playing football, reading, and writing.